Centre for Information Super Highway (CISH)- The Central Computing Facility
The Centre for Information Super Highway is a part of the Centre of Relevance and Excellence (CORE) in Advanced Computing & Information Processing established by the Technology, Information, Forecasting & Assessment Council (TIFAC), Department of Science & Technology, Government of India. This facility at the School of Computing has been constantly upgraded to meet the academic and research needs of the entire campus. M/s Tata communications Lab for Cyber Security, Microsoft Technical Services Lab for Cloud, Tata Realty-Data Science Lab, VLSI Lab, Embedded systems Lab, Microprocessor Lab, NAMASTE Lab and recognitions like Nvidia – CUDA Centre of Excellence makes the facility a world class infrastructure paving way for students and faculty members of SASTRA Deemed University to excel in their respective domains.
To ensure that all students have access to computers and up to date software packages the University has implemented the following:
- Gigabit LAN and a fully WiFi enabled campus (Hostels and classrooms) gives 24 X 7 access to all the IT resources of the University
- The Central computing facility hosts the HPC Linux Cluster (32 TF) and is accessible from the User devices for deploying their compute/ memory intensive tasks. Its a a hybrid high performance cluster which hosts X86, IBM Power and GPU platform servers with a storage capacity of 80 TBs. The cluster currently hosts Nvidia K20 & K80 GPU cards and has more that 1000 CPU cores and 2 TB of RAM. The cluster is connected with a Mellanox Infiniband switch that provides 40 Gbps connectivity between the nodes, minimising the communication time. The HPC is powered by GPFS (General Parallel File System) which delivers high performance parallel computing environment. The Platform Application Centre(PAC) is used for monitoring and the admin can control the amount of resource utilised by the users. The Load Sharing Facility (LSF) acts as a job scheduler. The queuing system allocates fixed ceiling resources, department-wise so that resources are distributed as per the queuing policy. The HPC hosts environments & applications like CUDA, MPI/Open MP, Schrodinger, Gaussian, TCAD, Gromacs, NAMD, SciLab and R.
- Each School has a separate DreamSpark Premium Subscription (in addition to the campus agreement), which gives unlimited access to the Microsoft products for enhancing the teaching/ learning experience. Students, faculty & Lab machines get genuine Microsoft software and OS updates through these subscriptions
- Turnitin access is given to students and faculty members to do the best original work
- The Lab machines, faculty & student Laptops across the campus can be Installed with Matlab (latest edition with updates) which comes through the Campus agreement with Matlab
- Faculty members can access the campus digital library subscriptions from outside the campus using the EZ proxy.
- SASTRA follows a BYoD Policy allowing users to bring their own devices. Fully wifi enabled campus with 600 access points connects the National Knowledge Network giving round the clock free, unlimited internet access to the inmates of SASTRA
|Servers & Storage Devices||Internet/Network Facility|
|Super Computer - HP rp8400,Hp Blade server BL460c, IBM X3650, Dell R 740||Internet Facility: NKN 1 Gbps, Reliance 200 Mbps(Backup),Fibre optic connectivity across the campus|
|32 Teraflop IBM Cluster Computing System with GPFS,PAC , LSF Scheduler||HP Core switch, Aruba & HP Controllers for WiFi (540 Access points), 130 access level switches.|
|SUN RACK Server – Sun Fire v20z & Sun Fire v40z||Security : UTM (Fortigate 3240 C) , AntivirusServer(Symantec), Antispam Engine|
|Private cloud from Microsoft ,Vmware, Xen||DMZ(24X7): Web, Mail, Academy web, Tool kit, Online tests and IT Support|
|Storage : SUN StorEdge 5310 NAS Appliances , Store trends 2400i||802.1X radius server authentication- Single sign on wifi.|
Labs @ SOC
|Computer Science & Engineering Lab||Information Technology Lab|
|Information & Communication Technology Lab||Microprocessor & Microcontroller Lab|
|Multimedia Lab (M.C.A.)||Open Source Lab|
|NAMASTE Lab (New Age Mantra for Smart Teacher Education) funded by TCS||Data Science Lab funded by TATA Realty|
|EDUSAT Lab||M.C.A. Lab|
|Cloud Computing Lab funded by Microsoft||Cyber Security Lab funded by TATA Communications|
|VLSI Design Lab||Embedded Systems Design Lab|
|High Performance Computing Lab|
In addition CISH as a research lab focuses on research relating to Network Security, Cloud Computing, Machine & Deep Learning and Brain-Computing Interface and has attracted funds from various National and International funding agencies like ICPS-DST, MHRD, MeitY, TatatPower, TCS, IBMSUR, etc. to a tune of about Rs 1.5 crore.